I came across this recipe last year when I went on Betty Crocker’s website looking for uses for their gluten free Bisquick mix (which is amazing by the way). This was listed as one of them. Do you want dinner in 30 minutes? With a yummy cheesy doughy top that is gluten free? Why yes, yes I do!!!
Picture of ingredients used below. Notice that Badia’s spices are listed as certified gluten free on their label – awesome.
We love the recipe that Betty Crocker came up with, but felt it was missing some flavor (i.e. their version is salt and pepper only). This modification just adds some additional seasonings to their recipe. Try it and let me know what you think. We love it and it is part of our rotation of meals now. You could also use ground turkey or beans I am thinking instead of ground beef if that is more your thing. Experiment!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup Bisquick Gluten Free mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- Heat oven to 400F. Oil, grease, or spray a 9-inch pie pan.
- Cook ground beef with onion until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain.
- Stir in steak seasoning and mustard.
- In medium bowl, combine Bisquick mix, milk, eggs, and mustard. Stir until blended.
- Arrange beef in the bottom of the pie pan. Top with cheese. Finally, pour Bisquick mixture over the cheese.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
And then DIG in. We cook it in stoneware (LOVE my stoneware) but I am sure it would come out equally as good in other cooking pans. You just may have to adjust the cook time.